Meters and test equipment are crucial for activities like designing, development, production, testing, and maintenance. Mostly, meters are used in the electronic industry where products are manufactured. A product lifecycle is a long process and it requires meters and test equipment at almost every stage of its lifecycle. Apart from the electronics industry, testing equipment is also used in industries like IT, telecommunications, automotive, defence, aerospace, and others too.
There are many types of meters and equipment that are used for testing purposes. Let us look at some most commonly used test equipment after which we will discuss the importance of meters and testing equipment in various sectors.
A digital multicenter is nothing but an instrument used to measure values like the current, voltage, resistance, and a few more. The advanced digital MultiMate’s have the capability to measure frequency, temperature, and capacitance too.
Although analogy MultiMate’s are not very common nowadays, there are still many laboratories that use analogy meters. These meters are also used to measure voltage, current, resistance, and other related electronic data. The way they measure the data is different from digital MultiMate’s. They are based on the use of a moving coil meter and there is a needle whose deflection marks the values.
These are testing meters that measure the frequency of a signal. Generally, these counters are used for measuring the frequencies of the repetitive signals. Frequency counters are used in testing applications that use radio frequency engineering techniques. These are very common in the market and are available at competitive prices.
Function generators are a type of testing equipment that generates repetitive waveforms of regular shapes like triangular, square, sine, etc. They also have the capability to modify the properties of waveforms by altering the length of the pulse. A functional generator can also add a DC offset to the signal which is again a very common method used in testing applications.
An oscilloscope is a very crucial testing instrument that is used for various purposes. It is used in designing circuits, manufacturing, testing, as well as repairing them. It helps us see the waveforms of the electronic circuit and thus makes it very easy for us to understand any issue in the entire circuit.
Logic analyzers help us in testing circuits. There are many complex digital and logical circuits that are tested using this equipment. The functions are kind of similar to that of an oscilloscope. However, logic analyzers help us see the relative timing of a good number of signals. So basically a logic analyzer shows the logic signals in a way that makes it easy to monitor the operation of several lines in a particular circuit.
A spectrum analyzer is nothing but a testing tool that helps us see the relationship between signal strength and frequency. They are used to test radio frequency performance.
Need for Meters and Test Equipment
Almost every industry has some or the other use of testing equipment. Following are few examples that tell us about the significance of test equipment across all industries.
- Telecommunication and Internet: WiFi standards have been updating and the new 802.11ax standard has come. This needs rigorous radio frequency (RF) testing so that the overall performance and internet experience can be enhanced. Also, 5G has already become popular. This brings in requirements for higher bandwidths which again increases the need for Meters & Test Equipmentso that proper research can be conducted.
- Automotive: The future is looking for driverless vehicles and organizations have already been conducting research on the same. This research can only be successful when proper RF testing can be done to test wireless communication standards.
- Digitalization: With the world aiming to move towards more and more digitalization, the need for multimeters and other testing equipment has rapidly increased. Also, IoT standards like Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) have created a big demand for parallel testing.
- Medical and Healthcare: Advancements in the healthcare sector also demand more accurate RF testing.
- Defence and Aerospace: Both the aerospace and defence industries conduct research in order to continuously improve their systems. They face many challenges in data capturing, analysis, verification, validation, and so many other activities. Accurate testing equipment is a must for these industries in every country so that they can keep themselves updated and at par with other countries.
So this was all about the most commonly used Meters & Test Equipment that is used in almost every sector. With the advancements in technology, manufacturing and testing have evolved and they now form a very crucial part of the entire development lifecycle.